History at Tindale Gardens - Meet the Tindale's
In 1958 George and Ruth Tindale purchased the site from Mr. & Mrs. Harry Potter.
George a research scientist at the Victorian Department of Agriculture and a keen horticulturist, and his wife Ruth, were intent on developing and enlarging the overgrown garden and land. Together they created paths, garden beds, established ornamental plantings and gradually extended the garden down the hillside. All under a canopy of giant eucalyptus (Mountain Ash).
George and Ruth shared their passion for gardening with personal friends for decades.In recognition and celebration of their tireless contributions, the Tindale's named Paths after those friends (see plan below.)
George passed away in 1977, and it was his wish that the garden should be preserved. After his death, Ruth donated the 2.4 hectacre garden to the Victorian Conservation Trust in his memory. Today it is managed under the care of Parks Victoria. Ruth carried on their garden vision with friends, until her passing in 2006.
Learn more about George Barrand Tindale and his contributions to life in Australia.
Tindale Garden Site Plan - click here
Tindale Gardens began recent life known as Pallant's Hill in Sherbrooke. In 1893, a retired seaman, Captain Joseph Pallant, selected the site (4 hectacres/10acres) when the area was first being settled. He owned the land for 22 years and you can still find reference to Pallant's Hill today on local maps.
In 1915, English engineer Mr H.R. Harper purchased the property. Over 15 years, he laid out a horseshoe drive still in use today (Harpers Drive East and West), and planted the now-mature exotic trees around the Front Lawn and House. A photographer's delight, the autumnal color shows are an annual head-turner when driving along Sherbrooke Road. They only hint at the beauty within the garden beyond.
In 1930, Mr. & Mrs. Harry Potter purchased the land as a weekend retreat. During their 28 years of ownership, some of the 4 hectacres were sold.
In 1985, the Victorian Conservation Trust re-aquired 1 hectacre of land sold in the 1930's and added it to the George Tindale Memorial Garden. It is located at the north edge of the garden in the lower land elevation, and is easily seen from Braeside Avenue which runs along the East property line.
A collection of 14 favorite photographs capturing
a few key moments from the late 1950's to 2006.